In 1995, Jamie Elizabeth Fontenot graduated ranked number 1 in her class of 107 students at Southern University Law Center, where she was a Law Review candidate, member of the Moot Court Board, and Vice Justice of the Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity. She was admitted to the Louisiana State Bar Association in October of 1995.
On January 1, 2002, Ms. Fontenot became board certified as a Family Law Specialist for the State of Louisiana, of which there are approximately 100 certified specialists in the entire state. For the first twenty years of practicing law, she predominately handled contested family law cases, including but not limited to divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, domestic abuse, and community property partitions.
Ms. Fontenot also served the legal profession in the following capacities:
2011 - 2013 Appointed by Louisiana Supreme Court to Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board;
2010 - 2011 Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Hearing Committee member;
2009 - 2012 Louisiana State Bar Association, Family Law Advisory Commission;
2009 - 2011 Louisiana Law Institute – Family Law Section;
Ms. Fontenot has held the following positions with the Baton Rouge Bar Association:
2007 Past Chair of the Family Law Section;
2006 Chair of the Family Law Section;
2005 Vice Chair of the Family Law Section; and
Furthermore, Ms. Fontenot has been a lecturer at the following Louisiana State Bar Association continuing legal education seminars:
- Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary training seminars in 2011 and 2012;
- Professionalism lecture for Family Law Section of the Baton Rouge Bar Association, November 2007;
- Recent Developments in Family Law at Southern University Law Center in 2005;
- Commencing and Defending Child Custody Cases for the National Business Institute in 2004;
- Practicing in the Hinterlands for the Family Section of the Baton Rouge Bar Association in 2000;
- Legislative Revisions on Interim and Final Periodic Spousal Support at Southern University Law Center in 1998; and
- Fundamentals of Family Law at Southern University Law Center in 1996;
Finally, Ms. Fontenot has also held the following legal positions:
2001 - 2006 Brusly town attorney;
2000 – 2001 18th Judicial District Court public defender for Division D; and
1998 – 2004 Plaquemine City Court juvenile public defender.